Romanian tourism registered a boost during June 2015, with customs registering an increase in both arrivals of foreign visitors (up 4.0 percent) and in Romanian visitors departures abroad (up 18.9 percent), shows the latest data by the National Institute of Statistics (INS).

 

The arrivals of foreign visitors to Romania, according to customs, amounted to 870,000 in June 2015, bringing a welcome 4 percent boost to Romanian tourism. Most of the foreign visitors came from European countries (91.3 percent), with 52.2 percent of the visitors coming from European Union member states. Hungary (31.4 percent) took the lead, followed by Bulgaria (26.9 percent), Germany (8.9 percent), Poland (6.8 percent), Italy (5.6 percent) and Austria (3.3 percent).

In June 2015, departures of Romanian visitors abroad amounted to 1.2 million. Most of them used the means of road transport, amounting to 80.3 percent of the total departures.

During the first half of the year, foreign visits to Romania amounted to 3.9 million, 10.1 percent more compared to the same period of last year. Most of the foreign visitors came from European countries (92.8 percent), with 58.0 percent of the total arrivals being from European Union member states. Again the lead belonged to Hungary (32.8 percent), followed by Bulgaria (27.7 percent), Germany (8.4 percent), Italy (6.3 percent), Poland (5.3 percent) and Austria (3.4 percent).

Romanian visitors’ departures during H1 amounted to 6.2 million, 11.1 percent more year on year. 77.7 percent of the total departures used the means of road transport.

Tourist reception establishments recorded a wave of 947,900 visitors during June (a 17.3 percent increase year on year), with Romanian visitors making up 74.7 percent of them.

During H1 2015, the visitors’ number amounted to over 4 million, showing a 14.5 percent increase year on year. Romanian tourists held a share of 75.8 percent of total arrivals, comparable to last year’s records.

The overnight stays increased in June 2015 by 15.3 percent against the same month last year, amounting to 2.3 million. Of the total number of overnight stays, Romanians had a share of 79.1 percent, while foreign visitors took 20.9 percent. The average time of stay was 2.6 days for the Romanian tourists and 2.0 days for the foreign tourists.

During the first half of the year, overnight stays amounted to 8.6 million, increasing 14.3 percent year on year. Romanian tourists had 77.7 percent of the stays, while foreign visitors accounted for the rest of 22.3 percent. The average time of stay was 2.2 days for the Romanian tourists and 2.0 days for the foreign tourists.

In June 2015, the net use index of accommodation places was 29.0 percent on total tourists’ accommodation, 2.4 percentage points more compared to June 2014.

For the first six months of the year, the net use index of accommodation places was 23.7 percent on total tourists’ accommodation, 2.3 percentage points more against the same period last year.

Higher indices of accommodation places were registered by hotels (36.5 percent), ship accommodation spaces (28.2 percent), holiday villages (22.2 percent), hostels (21.9 percent), tourist villas and pre‐school and school camps (18.7 percent each) and motels (17.6 percent) .

During H1, higher indices of accommodation places were registered by hotels  (29.8 percent), ship accommodation spaces (28.2 percent), hostels (16.9 percent) and tourist villas (16.4 percent).

Most foreign tourists accommodated in establishments with functions of tourist accommodation were from Germany (111,600), Italy (95,900), Israel (88,800), France (62,200) and the USA (59,300).

Natalia Martian